Forum feedback

Scnlog

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciation score
Please use this thread to provide feedback and suggestions for the forum.

I know the light mode is kind of a mess right now, there are no rules or moderators nor probably other basic functionality.

I'm currently looking for a way for fillers to get recognition. Open for suggestions on this.

kassyopeia

Appreciation score
So-called trophies seem to be a major feature of this forum software, so if it's mainly about bragging rights, I expect you could repurpose that functionality. If you want something with a more practical side to it, maybe have a user class reserved for fillers, which gives them access or abilities regular users don't get. The downside to that is that it makes it a binary split, non-filler versus filler, and you have to come up with concrete and necessarily mostly arbitrary criteria as to where that split should be. Also, I dunno if the software is sufficiently capable to promote users based on such, otherwise you'd have to put in the extra effort to do that yourself.

DreamWorld

Appreciation score
i would be in favor of a genre subdivision for music.
I would also like it better if I could delete my own posts in the request section.

Last edited:

aGGyunit

Staff member
Appreciation score
Separate filled from open requests ?
This will make it easier to find the unfilled and hopefully prevent people from bumping their requests to the first page every 30 minutes.

Genre subdivision for music sounds like a good idea.
If too much split mp3 from FLAC at least.

Currently unregistered guests can see all links, do you plan on making them hidden for guests?

I would definitely take some time to setup your basic rules before the shit-storm comes.
Get ready for the army of bots to sign up as well (there was no email verification when I signed up) and start spamming the forum with garbage.

I know there is a lot of work to be done, but the more you do now it will pay off in the end :)
Making major changes to the layout/design/setup of the forum as x days will cause a lot of work (moving topics etc).

Big thanks for setting this up and all the hard work you have put into it so far.

Scnlog

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciation score
So-called trophies seem to be a major feature of this forum software, so if it's mainly about bragging rights, I expect you could repurpose that functionality. If you want something with a more practical side to it, maybe have a user class reserved for fillers, which gives them access or abilities regular users don't get. The downside to that is that it makes it a binary split, non-filler versus filler, and you have to come up with concrete and necessarily mostly arbitrary criteria as to where that split should be. Also, I dunno if the software is sufficiently capable to promote users based on such, otherwise you'd have to put in the extra effort to do that yourself.

I don't want to have a specific class for fillers because anyone can be a filler and because of what you said. I was thinking more of users rewarding the filler with points that go into earning special titles or badges or something else. I don't think this could be made in an automated fashion but I'm still learning the platform.

i would be in favor of a genre subdivision for music.
I would also like it better if I could delete my own posts in the request section.

Problem is that there are too many genres. You can delete your own post, just not your own thread.

Scnlog

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciation score
Separate filled from open requests ?
This will make it easier to find the unfilled and hopefully prevent people from bumping their requests to the first page every 30 minutes.

Genre subdivision for music sounds like a good idea.
If too much split mp3 from FLAC at least.

Currently unregistered guests can see all links, do you plan on making them hidden for guests?

I would definitely take some time to setup your basic rules before the shit-storm comes.
Get ready for the army of bots to sign up as well (there was no email verification when I signed up) and start spamming the forum with garbage.

I know there is a lot of work to be done, but the more you do now it will pay off in the end :)
Making major changes to the layout/design/setup of the forum as x days will cause a lot of work (moving topics etc).

Big thanks for setting this up and all the hard work you have put into it so far.

Hiding the links from guests is a good idea, should make links more durable.

There's no mail verification because all email functions are turned off, for security reasons. The annoying and hard-to-solve hcaptcha should suffice for now.

I will create more thread prefixes like FLAC on the Music forum (MP3 is the default) and NON-SCN (SCN is the default).

Thanks for the feedback guys!

DreamWorld

Appreciation score
In terms of genre, these should be enough:

Blues
Electronic/Trance
House
Jazz
Metal
Pop
Punk/Rock
Rap/Hip Hop
Reggae
Soul/R&B
Instrumental
Audiobook
Other

the main genres are enough. is someone missing a genre?

Last edited:

kasten

Generous
Appreciation score
I don't agree to divide by genre of music, so I agree to divide FLAC file types from MP3, divide SCENE from NON-SCENE. To be fair this should be put to a vote.

kasten

Generous
Appreciation score
I believe that the division by musical genre would make the filled more selective for one section and less for another. Just my point of view.

DreamWorld

Appreciation score
filled/unfilles -> genre
as it was in the music forum. I found it very clear.

Reactions: fab

kassyopeia

Appreciation score
Been busy today, I will set up some rules and make some modifications to the forum structure tomorrow like creating sub-forums for non-scn releases and FLAC in Music.
Personally, I'd prefer the "Chat" section at the top instead of at the bottom of the page, because the growth of the request sections has pushed it down so far now that I need to scroll down to see it. All else looks good to me! :)

ETA: That's assuming that "Chat" will stay relatively small, that is. If it's likely to grow to a similar number of boards as the request ones, I retract this suggestion.

Last edited:

Scnlog

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciation score
I will keep everything open for now (y)

visaa

Appreciation score
I was thinking about separating the open scene requests and the filled ones
Like 2 sub-categories: one for requests and one for filled requests.
I'm thinking it will be easier to browse the open requests as well as the filled ones
I feel that the open requests are a bit "lost" within all the filled ones
Thoughts ?

Last edited:

Scnlog

Administrator
Staff member
Appreciation score
@visaa I thought about that, some sort of archive. Maybe later.

@rappunzel not sure yet, I may close it to new comments but I'm not deleting it.

kassyopeia

Appreciation score
I feel that the open requests are a "lost" within all the filled ones
The forum supports filtering by tag. Annoyingly, it doesn't offer "none" as an option, so right now we can show only the filled requests, but we can't show only the unfilled requests. Kinda the wrong way 'round, for practical purposes. :p

Top Bottom