What do you do when you run into Windows's path length limit?

somegrue

Generous
Appreciation score
For historical and compatibility reasons, the current Windows versions still have a path length limit that's low enough that one actually encounters it every once in a while: 256 characters, plus or minus a few. It's not a hard limit, but it's there by default and raising it isn't straightforward. When it gets exceeded, the effects are mild but noticeable - Explorer will not rename the file, apps may or may not open it, et cetera.

There are artists who like long titles, and unless the release group themselves decide to abbreviate, this sort of thing results:

Code:
Lana_Del_Rey-Did_you_know_that_theres_a_tunnel_under_Ocean_Blvd-WEB-2023-ENRiCH\11-lana_del_rey_riopy-grandfather_please_stand_on_the_shoulders_of_my_father_while_hes_deep-sea_fishing-eb155321.mp3

Close to 200 characters already, leaving a marginal 60-ish for any higher-level organization - not even enough for a basic "\Music\[artist]\[album]\" scheme in this case.

Does this happen to you? What do you do when it does?

To be clear, this is just me being curious. My scheme is at least twice as deep as said basic one... but I also have a general preference for abbreviating lengthy titles, so the "Did you know that there's a" portion would have gotten chopped even if there hadn't been an issue otherwise.

aGGyunit

Staff member
Appreciation score
I move folder to c:\a\ and rename, check files there
I store releases in .rar so path length is not an issue afterwards.

Does Linux and MAC generally suffer the same issue?

somegrue

Generous
Appreciation score
I store releases in .rar so path length is not an issue afterwards.
I considered that too. Lots of media players offer playing straight from archive (which I assume actually means they do a temp unpack themselves, but still). The reason I decided against it is that most albums have some tracks I don't like, and that I want to exclude when I play them again in the future. I don't know a way to do that for an archive.
Does Linux and MAC generally suffer the same issue?
Not bloody likely. Backward compatibility is specifically Microsoft's fetish.

Top Bottom