PSA: Firefox/Google malware warnings for Qiwi filehost

somegrue

Generous
Appreciation score
Out of 7 files I downloaded from Qiwi links today, Firefox gave me "This file contains a virus or other malware that will harm your computer." warnings for 5 of them. There's no question that they're false positives, though - all else aside, simply re-uploading to and then re-downloading from a different host makes the warning go away.

I read up a bit, and the source of the warning is Google's "Safe Browsing" service. Apparently, it works by checking first the domain and then the file hash against white(!)lists, and labels as malware anything it doesn't find on either. Because the unfamiliar is automatically a threat, as every xenophobe knows. :p

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
has in-depth information, in case anyone has the same issue and wants to read up more. It mentions this, which I tried and failed to implement:
urlclassifier.skipHostnames: comma-separated list of hostnames to exempt from Safe Browsing checks (hidden, only for temporary hotfix purposes)

aGGyunit

Staff member
Appreciation score
Firefox used to do this with Krakenfiles too, it's annoying.
Have not seen it with Pixeldrain.

I tried to upload a larger file to Qiwi today and it just stopped uploading halfway ... not finding that host too good for uploading (for me).

Chip

LEGEND
Appreciation score
we need alternative cloud storages such as pixeldrain.com

kasten

Generous
Appreciation score
See qiwi.gg works fine for me. It just makes us have to click on your links a little more than a pixeldrain link. But I don't see a problem with that.

fastupload.io works well for me too.

QuickWick

Appreciation score
I have no issues. Using Ublock Origin for Chrome, Edge, or Firefox. I do not have to do extra clicks, no pop-ups, no ads, no adware. Just go to link and click download once.

Last edited:

Jen_X

Appreciation score
I have no issues. Using Ublock Origin for Chrome, Edge, or Firefox. I do not have to do extra clicks, no pop-ups, no ads, no adware. Just go to click and click download once.

I have Ubock origin also and the file downlaods but once downloaded then antivirus says malware/virus.

If it is not much trouble would you mind to check if you can download the reup links in my profile?
we need a storage facility that would suit all participants or at least 80% of them

I do not have any knowledge in this subject however is there some kind of site where you can take a link from fileshare site and upload to other sites without downloading the file?

or maybe
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
or MirrorAce because uploads to multiple hosts?

somegrue

Generous
Appreciation score
Same thing happened with a fastupload.io link (https://scnlog.me/forum/threads/67229) just now, and again it's a definite false positive that has nothing to do with the download as such.

Simply switching off that Google service is sounding better and better. On the one hand, t's not like it's ever given me a true positive in however long it's been part of Firefox, and on the other, if it keeps crying wolf, it's only a question of time until I'm going to start ignoring those warnings without double-checking first, and at that point it turns into a real liability.

What do they think they're doing?!

Top Bottom